How to Make a T-Shirt Quilt
Homemade gifts are more meaningful and personal especially if these are intended to people who are genuinely loved. Among the most coveted handmade gifts today are quilts—particularly those unique ones—due to its uniqueness. As a matter of fact, quilts have been turned into so many things and in a lot of art stores and galleries, more and more items are becoming inspired from quilts.
Among the most popular quilt designs that are being given as handmade gifts are the t-shirt quilts. In fact, this has turned into a trend not only to artists but also to individuals who would prefer to give something unique and beautiful. Apart from its unique concept, t-shirt quilts also became a popular gift when it is converted into a memory t-shirt quilt.
A lot of people are partial to giving memory t-shirt quilts since these exude sincerity personal touch. Since it bears personal items like pieces of cloth and fabric that possess sentimental value, t-shirt quilts have become a rather touching gift to be given and accepted.
Making a t-shirt quilt
If you wish your gift to be a lot personal, it’s better if you make it with your very own hands. Designing a t-shirt is rather easy as long as you have the things that you need. These include a set of rotary cutters, a set of pins, a box full of sewing needles that come in various sizes, special quilting needles, different-colored threads, extra fabric that will be utilized for backing, a pair of scissors, different types of fabrics and shirts, batting, cardboard, rulers, irons, a sewing machine, and a quilt frame.
Here are the step by step instructions that you can stick to:
- Know the size of the t-shirt quilt you prefer to make. This can be decided by how many t-shirts you’d want to include in the quilt.
- Gather the t-shirts to be used. When you have accumulated the shirts you wish to include in the quilt, separate them according to color, size and design.
- Wash and dry the shirts prior to stitching them together. Washing and drying the t-shirts are really important to prevent proliferation of bacteria when preserved in a frame. Even new t-shirts must be washed so you can find out if they’re colorfast or not.
- Arrange the t-shirts according to size and design. In doing so, you can set up order and have a final design for the t-shirt quilt.
- Draft a square guide using the cardboard. This template will be utilized as a pattern on how the t-shirt had better be cut.
- Create an initial set up of the t-shirt quilt. This is done by positioning all square cut outs on the floor to specify your preferred placement.
-Use only the needle and thread of choice to sew the squares. You must sew each square parallel to each other to form a row. After which, sew the rows and add up the borders.
- Use the polyester batting, fill the t-quilt. This will provide you the initial layout of the t-shirt quilt.
- Finalize it. By using ties, quilt hoop or quilt frame, you are able to make the final steps in the t-shirt quilt prior to giving it away.
If you’re making a t-shirt quilt as a handmade gift, remember that you must always plan the design ahead before you start. This is to see to it that no material or fabric will go to waste.