Try making your own homemade soap using this traditional homemade soap recipe:
2 quarts melted lard, lukewarm
1 quart cold soft water (rain water or spring water)
1 can (12 oz) Red Devil Lye or pure sodium hydroxide
- Dissolve the lye or sodium hydroxide in 1 quart water in a bowl. Stir until the mixture becomes lukewarm. Touch the outside of the bowl to determine if the mixture is warm enough.
- Slowly stir in the lye-water into the melted lard. Be careful not to splash the mixture on your skin.
- Continuously mix the solution until it has a pudding-like consistency.
- When you can see spoon trails across the top as you stir, the mixture is ready to be poured into the molds.
- Pour the solution into prepared molds and leave overnight.
- The following day, cut the dried mixture into bars but keep them in the mold for two more days.
- On the third day, removed the soap from the mold and stack them, leaving enough space between bars to air dry.
- Allow your soap to dry for two to three weeks prior to using.
You may also wish to read on other articles about homemade items:
Homemade Hair Care Treatments
Homemade Remedies for Head Lice